Legionella Prevention In California
Creating a safer environment for your residents, employees, and visitors.
Do you need a Legionella prevention plan? California and other western states have strict regulations governing Legionella prevention in California. Healthcare facilities, privately owned properties, publicly owned buildings, and other organizations across the state of California are therefore required to create a complete and comprehensive Legionella Control Program that follows industry-accepted guidelines set forth by CMS, ASHRAE, CDC, and OSHA. Meras Water Solutions works with you to provide Legionella testing and to develop a Legionella risk management plan to fit your needs.
WHAT IS LEGIONELLOSIS?
WHERE DOES IT COME FROM?
HOW IS IT CONTRACTED?
WHO IS AT RISK?
HOW CAN MERAS HELP?
Want to know more about legionella prevention or how to institute a legionella program? Meras Water Solutions can help you create a complete and comprehensive Legionella Control Program that follows industry accepted guidelines set forth by ASHRAE, CDC, WHO, and CTI. An interactive, thorough, and continuously improved program offers greater health safety for those in your facility.
ASHRAE® STANDARD 188P
The American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE®) develops standards that are accredited by the American Standard Institute (ANSI). The industry has adopted Standards 188P which is a standard practice pertaining to Legionella control. This standard lays out the foundation for what an effective Legionella control program should entail. This standard is heavily influenced by the HACCP structure and it shares all of its components with other entities such as ESGLI and WHO.
What Industries Rely on Meras for Legionella Control?
Any water system is at risk for containing Legionella organisms — including domestic building water systems, cooling towers, pools and hot tubs, fountains and water features, reclaimed water systems, ice machines, irrigation systems, etc.
We have over 15 years’ experience helping organizations in many industries manage their water supplies for Legionella control, such as:
- Hospitals and healthcare facilities
- Government facilities
- Agricultural facilities
- Hotels and spas
- Recreation facilities
- Food packing plants
- Industrial and manufacturing plants
- Nursing homes
- Apartment buildings
- And more
Developing Your Legionella Prevention and Control Plan in California
Creating a cost-effective water management plan for Legionella control that satisfies all federal and state regulations is a challenging task. At Meras, we walk you through every step of the way in complying with the CDC’s guidelines for Legionella water management program development:
Step 1: Establish a team. No need to reinvent the wheel in your organization. Our expert staff is your ready-made Legionella control team. We also work with your in-house staff to provide necessary training for safe day-to-day water management.
Step 2: Conduct a risk management assessment for Legionella. Our water control experts will thoroughly assess your facility for Legionella risk:
- First, we’ll map out your entire water system, including all water distribution details and precise locations of appliances, cooling towers, hot tubs, and other features and equipment.
- Then, we’ll identify high-hazard areas within the system where the Legionella organism is likely to grow.
- We’ll also conduct a Legionella test for water. California and federal law require specific testing protocols, which may vary with your type of facility; we can help you determine the right approach for your needs.
- Step 3: Design a comprehensive and compliant Legionella water management plan. Per federal and state requirements, we will work with your staff to create an executable plan for Legionella hazard control in your facility. This will include:
- Determining appropriate control measures and limits for all potential Legionella hazards. These can include heat treatment, chemical treatment, cleaning, etc. We’ll also work with you to develop the written plans required by law and make sure you are compliant every step of the way.
- Creating a plan of action for when control limits are exceeded. We’ll help you determine the exact intervention actions you will need to take should Legionella organisms be detected in your system or control measures exceed risk limits, so you can quickly get your system back into safe limits.
Step 4: Legionella control program implementation. We will work with you to install appropriate control measures, and train your staff in proper maintenance and procedures to ensure safe maintenance and operation of your water systems.
Step 5: Ongoing Legionella program management. Continuous monitoring and documentation are required to ensure that any Legionella control program stays up to date and effective. We are equipped to help you remain compliant with minimal time and expense.
Get Started Today
We understand the importance of public health to your organization. We are also well-versed in the intricacies of creating an effective and compliant Legionella water management plan. California is known for its stringent enforcement of all environmental regulations. As a top Legionella control partner for healthcare facilities across the state, we have helped hundreds of facilities create Legionella control plans and systems in accordance with all CMS, ASHRAE, CDC, and OSHA industry guidelines.
Let us take the weight of Legionella management off your shoulders so you can focus on your core business knowing your customers, patients, and visitors are in good hands. Contact us today to learn more, or call (209) 900-4500 to speak to a specialist directly.